The role of the Critical Care services is vital and crucial to a tertiary care hospital, as it contributes immensely to survival of acutely and critically ill patients, who would otherwise not survive. The Critical Care units at a tertiary care hospital represent the apex of technical advancements in hospital medicine.
The Critical Care Centre at Apollo Hospitals Dhaka integrate many specialties and diverse technologies, and are designed and managed based on the fact that methodical organization of Critical Care services influence important overall outcome measures, such as mortality, length of stay, infection rates and overall resource utilization. This means that a lot of emphasis is also placed on areas like nurses’ training, standardizing care through clinical pathways, identification of ethical and economic issues pertaining to Critical Care, managing the in-hospital environment, infection control, and end of life care.
The Critical Care Centre at Apollo Hospitals Dhaka is a multidisciplinary centre where patients with medical, cardiac or surgical problems are managed. The primary goal of these units is to provide high quality care to patients with critical illness. Consultation is routinely provided by members of the Critical Care Consultants who closely communicate with the primary consultants and provide appropriate care.
The Critical Care Centre at Apollo Hospitals Dhaka is composed of a number of units and has over one hundred beds. Patients with cardiac, medical, surgical, paediatric, neonatal, and neurological disorders needing intensive care are admitted in these units.
- Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU)
Price: BDT 9,100 MICU is an 18-bed facility that serves critically ill patients with a wide variety of medical problems and their complications which require specialized nursing and intensive monitoring.
- Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU)
Price: BDT 9,100 SICU serves surgical patients with both chronic and acute illnesses for trauma, vascular, ENT, urology, gynaecology, oncology, maternal high risk, orthopaedic, plastic, and general surgery in a 9-bed facility.
- High Dependency Unit (HDU)
Price: BDT 7,600
- HDU is a 12-bed unit which caters to patients who need more intensive monitoring, treatment and nursing than is possible in a general ward, but slightly less than that given in the ICUs. Patients maybe admitted in the HDU before and after planned surgery or maybe later as a step-down procedure when moved from ICUs.
- Cardiothoracic High Dependency Unit (CTHDU)
Price: BDT 7,600 CTHDU is a 5 -bed unit which designed especially for patients having open heart surgery, valve replacement or repair, placement of ventricular assist devices, CABG, congenital heart surgery, aortic surgery, aneurysm surgery, ASD, VSD, TOF, and Ebstein’s Anomaly. Patients maybe admitted in the CTHDU before and after planned surgery or maybe later as a step-down procedure when moved from ICUs.
- Kidney Transplant Unit (KTU)
Price: BDT 9,100 KTU is a 2-bed facility which provides special care for patients undergoing kidney transplants.
- Neuro Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Price: BDT 9,100 NICU deals with post surgical and post traumatic cases of the brain and spinal chord. The 12-bed unit cares for patients who have suffered stroke, traumatic brain and spine injury, subarachnoid haemorrhage, aneurysm, autoimmune and movement disorders (Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, Gullian-Barre, etc.), and other neurological disorders.
- Coronary Care Unit (CCU)
Price: BDT 9,100 CCU is an 11-bed facility for cardiac patients who have undergone interventional procedures in Cath Lab like stenting, balloon valvuloplasty, ICD, CRT, bradycardia pacing, echocardiography, PCI, etc. The patients have suffered from life-threatening cardiac conditions, particularly acute myocardial infarction/cardiac ischemia, heart failure, cardiomyopathies, and cardiac arrhythmia.
- Post CCU
Price: BDT 5,600 Post CCU is an 8-bed unit which provides intermediate nursing care for cardiac patients who need to be closely watched and monitored, but are not critical enough to require intensive care. Patients admitted maybe experiencing chest pain, recovering from a mild heart attack, suffering from congestive heart failure or rhythm disturbances, or need to adjust their heart medications in a safe, controlled environment.
- Intensive CCU (ICCU)
Price: BDT 9,100
- Post CCU is an 8-bed unit which provides intermediate nursing care for cardiac patients who need to be closely watched and monitored, but are not critical enough to require intensive care. Patients admitted maybe experiencing chest pain, recovering from a mild heart attack, suffering from congestive heart failure or rhythm disturbances, or need to adjust their heart medications in a safe, controlled environment.
- Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit (CTICU)
Price: BDT 9,100 CTICU is a 7-bed facility, designed especially for patients having open heart surgery, valve replacement or repair, placement of ventricular assist devices, CABG, congenital heart surgery, aortic surgery, aneurysm surgery, ASD, VSD, TOF, and Ebstein’s Anomaly.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Price: BDT 8,600 NICU is a modern 16-bed unit fully equipped facility which provides intensive care for newborn infants with complex medical problems including pre-maturity, very low birth weight & low birth weight, jaundice, and conditions requiring surgery immediately after birth. The unit is efficiently located close to the labour room, and has special unique features like blue & yellow light phototherapy for jaundice affected infants, open & closed incubators maintaining body temperature of premature infants, and hyaline membrane factor (surfactant) for underdeveloped lungs of premature infants.
Critical care at Apollo Hospitals Dhaka aims to provide acute care for those patients who are generally unstable, critically ill and those in urgent need of advanced monitoring and intensive treatments. These tasks are carried out with precision, synchronization and coordination of a multidisciplinary team with unwavering commitment and teamwork. The nursing care is focused to meet the psychological, physical and emotional needs of the patient. Essential for the quality of Critical care provided by Apollo Hospitals Dhaka are its facilities. The ICU’s unique design enables the nursing and physician staff to have a full view of virtually all patients at all times. Each of the beds in Critical Care Units has state-of-the-art technology that enables staff to monitor patient’s vital signs continually.
Consultants in Critical Care:
|Prof. Brig Gen (Retd) Dr. Md Mahbub Noor
MBBS, FCPS (Anaesthesiology)
Senior Consultant – Critical Care (Medical ICU)
| View Consultant Profile | Make Appointment |
|Prof. (Dr.) Salim Mohammad Jahangir
MBBS, FCPS (Anaesthesia)
Coordinator & Senior Consultant – Critical Care (Neuro ICU)
Senior Consultant – Anaesthesia
| View Consultant Profile | Make Appointment |
Apollo Critical Care Centre provides a range of state-of-the-art services and facilities in its 10 specialized units:
- Central monitoring
- infusion pumps for metered medications and accurate volume infusions
- Ultramodern ventilator with monitoring facilities for patient’s own breathing effort
- IV tube for administrating fluids and medications
- Instant arterial blood gas analysis Hi-tech vital sign monitoring
- Invasive and non-invasive haemodynamic monitoring
- Syringe and
- Instant electrolyte assessment
- Portable x-ray and dialysis machines
- Bed-side echocardiogram and ultrasonogram
- Bed-side Continued Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT) for moderate to severe kidney failure patients
- Intra Aortic Balloon Pump (IABP) facility for maintaining blood pressure in circulatory failure patients
- Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) for patients who are unable to have nutrition by mouth