Apollo Hospitals Dhaka offers full service centralized out-patient and in-patient hospital pharmacies. Apollo Pharmacy is geared up to cater to the medication needs of our customers round-the-clock. Services are provided for all in-patients, as well as those patients served by our out-patient service departments and clinics.
Apollo Pharmacy is manned by competent and experienced pharmacists. Our pharmacy staffs are trained in counselling patients about the correct method of taking medicines. Generally, people have very little knowledge regarding proper use of medication. This lack of knowledge may become harmful as it may lead to aggravation of disease, more side effects, less compliance, and even increased cost of therapy. Various studies have shown that when patients discuss their therapy related problems and concerns with a drug expert (pharmacist), it resulted in increased compliance and better treatment outcomes. Several studies have shown that patient education programs by pharmacists had a tremendous impact on patient compliance, medication error rate and therapy outcome. It definitely helped in improving patients’ quality of life.
For any queries related to your medication, please call our Pharmacy Helpline: 02-8431661 Ext 1041/1208.
Our out-patient Pharmacy is located in the hospitals atrium (level-1).
Apollo Hospitals Dhaka is a trend setter in many ways in providing health care in Bangladesh. We have introduced many innovations for patient care and safety. Hospital formularies, though not an innovation, are considered standard practices that govern the hospital’s Medical Policies. Apollo Hospitals Dhaka has also introduced the “Hospital Formulary” to guide our staff on the availability of medications. These drugs are approved by the Drug Committee and periodically reviewed.
- The hospital has only generic prescriptions
- We follow 100% “e-Prescriptions”
- Screening of e-Prescriptions by pharmacist
- Verification by two staff before dispensing
- Proper identification of the patient through two identifiers
- The “Crash Carts” with all life saving drugs and other items are located in all identified locations
- Similarly, “Blue Bags” with other emergency items are available for easy access across the hospital
- These, apart from the wards/units, have a designated “Floor Stock” of drugs
A unit dose drug distribution system is used throughout the hospital to reduce the possibility of medication errors.
Advantages of the System:
- A reduction in the incidence of medication errors
- A more efficient usage of pharmacy and nursing personnel, allowing for more direct patient care involvement by pharmacists and nurses
- Improved overall drug control and drug use monitoring
- More accurate patient billing for drugs
- The elimination or minimization of drug credits
- Apollo Hospitals Dhaka assures delivery of only genuine medicines to our customers, and we cater to an entire category of products in pharmacy, surgical, disposables, anti-cancer, life saving and general healthcare products
- Medicines and other products are procured only from reputed and quality approved manufacturers
- Due background quality checks, as well as site visits to the companies, are undertaken by the hospital management before including a product in the formulary
Confusing drug names is one of the most common causes of medication errors and is of concern worldwide. With tens of thousands of drugs currently on the market, the potential for error due to confusing brand or generic drug names is significant. Apollo Hospitals Dhaka uses “tallMAN” method to avoid the confusion of verbal, written and visually alike medicines.
All the e-Prescriptions are cross checked by pharmacists and dispensed within 10 minutes.
- Cytotoxic drug admixture under laminar hood in specially designed “Cytotoxic Drug Admixture Unit”
- Specially trained pharmacists for cytotoxic drug administration
- Separate storage of cytotoxic drugs for safety
We stock drugs according to prescribed temperature standards, thereby retaining their quality and effectiveness on consumption.