Apollo Blood Bank is a place for collecting, screening, typing, processing, and storing whole blood, packed red blood cells, fresh frozen plasma and platelet concentrate, gathered as a result of blood donation, preserved for patient use in this hospital and other hospitals on request. Apollo Blood Bank, located in basement level of the hospital, is the first government registered hospital blood bank in Dhaka Metropolitan Area. We are committed to keeping pace with the demands of providing 24-hour service by cutting-edge technology and the most secure blood transfusion policy, and we maintain quality in every stride. We provide blood and blood product by standard protocol in all aspects of blood screening, grouping, compatibility testing, component preparation, storage, and transportation. Temperature of preserved blood and blood component is strictly maintained in each step. We also provide blood and blood component to other hospitals in case of emergency. In Apollo Blood Bank, most blood for transfusion is collected from family members and friends as a replacement donation system. Directed and Volunteer donors also donate blood, especially at times of need of rare blood group.
For any emergency requirement of blood or information to donate blood, please contact Apollo Blood Bank: 01713041277
|Dr. Kazi Mumtaz Huda
MBBS, DBST&T, MPH
Coordinator – Blood Bank
Blood is a red colored fluid that contains continuously renewing cells like red blood cells (RBC) which renew every 4 months, platelets that renew every 8 to 10 days, and also white blood cells (WBC). The cells are swimming in the liquid part of the blood, the plasma. Adult blood volume is 5 to 6 litres. The blood carries oxygen by RBC from the lungs into the tissues to generate energy. It carries out carbon dioxide to be expired through the lungs. WBC plays a key role in immunity. Platelets and plasma are responsible for stopping the bleeding from wounds by clotting of the blood
Blood donation is not hazardous and it proves to be a healthy habit that helps blood renewal. The volume of whole blood donation is 450 ml, almost 7.5% of the adult blood volume. It is compensated in a short period of time. Eligible healthy donors (age 18 to 60 years, having Hb greater than 12 gm/dl, and weight above 50 kg) can donate 450 ml of blood. Your body can replenish this volume within 24 hours. Males can donate at every 3 months and females can donate at every 4 months if they are free from any disease. Platelet apheresis donor’s age should be within 18 to 60 years, weight more than 50 kg and has not taken the medicine Plavix/Ticlid.for the last 14 days.
PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN PRIOR TO BLOOD DONATION
- Not to donate on an empty stomach
- A gap of 20-30 minutes is desirable for a meal.
- Good sleep on the previous night/day
- Not to donate if you have fever or taking any antibiotic or aspirin or blood thinner
- Drink water before donation
- Not to take alcohol 24 hours’ prior donation
- Not to smoke half an hour after blood donation
- Avoid vigorous exercise/playing tennis for at least 2-3 hours after donation as this can cause bleeding from the site of donation.
Prior to blood donation at Apollo Blood Bank, the donor gets a medical examination including medical history, hemoglobin estimation, weight check and blood group determination. The donated blood is routinely screened for hepatitis B, hepatitis C, HIV, by chemiluminescent immunoassay method & malaria, and syphilis by device method. The potential risk of acquiring HIV or hepatitis through transfusions has made it a common practice to screen the blood prior to transfusion. We perform testing to determine the blood type of the donor and screen the blood for transmissible infections for patient’s safety, and finally cross match with the patient’s blood to identify compatible blood products for blood transfusions. All our materials used in blood donation are strictly sterile and disposable.
For a random donor collection, we usually collect the whole blood and prepare different components from that whole blood units like PRBC, Platelet Concentrate(RDP), Fresh Frozen Plasma (FFP), Cryoprecipitate, Platelet Rich Plasma etc.
Single Donor Apheresis Platelets (SDP) are prepared by connecting the donor to a machine and selectively collecting the platelets and returning the remaining blood components back into the donor. The total dose for an adult patient equivalent to 6 random donor platelets are collected. So less risk of getting transfusion transmissible infections and development of unwanted antibodies.
STORAGE OF BLOOD
The collected Whole Blood is spun in a centrifuge to separate it into different components. The packed Red Blood Cells (RBC) are refrigerated with an anti-coagulant solution (CPDA-1) to extend shelf life to 35 days. The less dense blood plasma is made into fresh frozen plasma, cryoprecipitate and platelets and is labeled accordingly based on the products. The plasma is frozen promptly within 6 hours of collection and labelled as Fresh Frozen Plasma; it is stored at –30°C or colder for one year.
The platelets are stored in an incubator at 20-24°C temperature with agitation, and have a shelf life of five days. Since they are stored at room temperature, they are at high risk for growing bacteria. So we are routinely doing quality checks which include blood count, pH and culture. We are preserving Whole Blood for up to 35 days, maintaining its usefulness in blood transfusions with an anti-coagulant (CPDA-1).
WHO NEEDS BLOOD TRANSFUSION?
Thousands of patients need blood transfusions like patients suffering from hemorrhage due to casualties, surgical procedures, pregnancy; hemophilic patients; patients suffering from chronic anemia and malignancy; thalassemia patients; patients who have had organ transplantation, neonatal jaundice and others. Further, emergency occurs every second. We need to be prepared to face any kind of adversities natural as well as man-made. Apollo Blood Bank wishes that nobody needs blood by God’s grace, but for those who need blood, we prove to be a life saver. Donating blood is the noblest gift one can offer and we provide a connecting link between the donor and the receiver.
BLOOD COMPONENTS AVAILABLE IN BLOOD BANK OF APOLLO HOSPITALS DHAKA.
1. Whole Blood.
2. Packed Red Blood Cell (PRBC).
3. Fresh Frozen Plasma (FFP).
4. Platelet Concentrate.
5. Fresh Platelet Rich Plasma.
6. Platelet Apheresis.
8. Cryoprecipitate (15ml).
9. Cryo poor Plasma (180ml).
10. Autologous Platelet Rich Plasma.
- To schedule a test/investigation, please call the relevant OPD front desks.
- Your lab investigation samples are to be deposited in the Sample Collection Room located in the hospital’s atrium, which is open on working days (Saturday-Thursday) from 7.00 am to 10:00 pm, and on Fridays and holidays from 7.00 am to 3.00 pm.
- Your investigation reports can be collected from Report Delivery Room by showing the receipt of payment. The hospital shall not be responsible for reports not collected within 30 days after the tests were done. Report Delivery Room is also located in the hospital’s atrium, and is open on working days (Saturday-Thursday) from 8.00 am to 8.30 pm, and on Fridays and holidays from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm.
- You will not be able to collect your investigation reports without your receipt of payment. If you have lost your receipt, you may collect a duplicate copy from our Billing Executives (Corporate Desk, Atrium – level 1).
- You can request duplicate copy of your investigation reports from the Report Delivery Room, inclusive of BDT 100 additional charge.
- In-patient Reports
- A Discharge Summaryis provided to a patient upon his/her discharge from the hospital. A discharge summary is a summary of the events during hospitalization of the patient. It outlines the patient’s chief complaint, the diagnostic findings, the therapy administered and the patient’s response to it, and recommendations on discharge.
- To request for detailed in-patient medical reports or to make an insurance claim, refer to our Medical Report page.
- For queries on charges, contact our Billing Department (Corporate Desk, Atrium – level 1) or call/e-mail our Billing Executives:
|Mr. Taslimur Rahman:
Deputy Manager – Billing
Phone: 02-8431661 Ext:1353
|Mr. Arifur Rahman:
Deputy Manager – Billing
Phone: 02-8431661 Ext:1353